September 9, 2010

politics shmolitics

I got a lot of requests asking this to be a political blog. I still have a huge interest in politics here in the US and around the world, but I'm not as vocalized about it anymore. I've experienced first hand how politics and religion conversations can ruin friendships, or at least bruise them. And it's a shame this happens. Some people will hold a grudge for much longer than I thought was possible, but then again, a grudge takes more energy out of you than me. So I won't be sitting here bashing or getting upset or angry trying to make a stance. The couple things I will say is that I have traveled a lot. I feel that my opinions are validated more because I have seen what other countries have to offer, (both the good and the ugly). I have volunteered in "slummy" areas both here in the US and other countries. My belief is that very little things will change based on who we nominate as President. Until we as individuals start realizing that we choose our reality, not "superman", we will keep having unrealistic expectations of our government and people in power.

When Obama was campaigning, so many people thought he was God (or better). He was glorified on the cover of People magazine, his speeches sounded more like a church service being held in the South, and people really thought this was the "end all be all" guy. That he was going to come save all the poor people and get us out of this economic downfall. In fact, just the opposite has happened. I don't care if it was Bush's "left overs" that he's dealing with. The President made countless promises that he himself would never be able to fulfill. But people still believed this celebrity guy who promised "change".

The only thing that has changed is that our country is in billions more debt. The poor people are poorer. And our economy is falling apart. Maybe we have our parents generation to point the finger at. Maybe is was the officials they elected (Carter) that are responsible. "8 years of bush.." blah blah. No matter what it is, Barack Obama is not going to be able to fix any of this. I can't even listen to his speeches anymore because they all sound the same, and so rehearsed. Do I think McCain could have done it better? Not necessarily. But all these new 18-25 year old voters had no idea what they were voting for. I would hear my friends repeat Obama's promises verbatim and it would just crack me up. Just because he's a good speaker, HALF black (he's not black people!), encouraging and inspiring, "new aged", doesn't mean anything to me other than he looks sharp on the Today Show.

The truth is, his approval ratings have plummeted. I can't believe people are really surprised by this. Check out this Daily Presidential Tracking Poll: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/ (highly reputable). I tried to paste the actual link to the poll but just search it. Even the people who voted him in are furious..... and I don't blame them. But then again, I sorta do because this guy never had super powers and nothing he claimed he would do can be done in his position. Oh well.

This is super jumbled because I'm sitting in a noisy cafe and can't really think straight. But I just wanted to jot a couple things down. This is probably as far as I'll go politically..... It's just not worth getting a bunch of people wanting to argue. But the main thing that I feel is that I am still happy I'm an American woman. Spend a couple minutes reading about sex trafficking in Eastern Europe, for example. This crap happens everywhere. We may have some issues in the US, but I'm glad I'm not trying to sneak my family over. It's bad here to some people, then it must be really be bad there. I can deal with the fact that Spain gets a siesta and we don't. Or that Canada has free health care (which they don't). It could be a hell of a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment