September 17, 2010

Not just us

Another quick political topic I noticed. Australia just voted in their new prime minister a month or two ago. There are also 2 parties in Australia: Labor (most similar to Democrat) and Liberal (most similar to Republican). Quite funny because our liberal is just the opposite. Anyway, they have just voted in a red headed WOMAN representing the Labor (Democrat) party. Not that hair color matters but the fact that she is a woman has many people up in arms. I haven't seen any of this on our news here in the US, but since I lived in Australia for a short time, I had friends posting all over facebook who both loved her and hated her. I saw really crude things, "This firecrotch lesbian won't do anything for our country!" or calling her "nothing but a bogan" which is basically a country hick. And then I saw others who said" Thank you Labor party for progressing Australia!" "Australia is on the right path, we have needed a woman!"

So of course I had to research what was going on, and yes, Australia voted in a woman Democrat. Doesn't this all sound a bit familiar? Woman dem vs. "black" dem. It's all the same. Everyone getting all fired up about something they really don't have any control over. Sure, our vote does matter. But once they're voted in, there is nothing the public can do anymore. They are going to call the shots... most likely "puppet" around like the rest of them... and everyone is going to have something to say about it.

Here is a recent status update from one of my aussie girlfriends who is supporting the new PM:
(mind you, I am not sure what all the slang means but you get the idea)

"I'm avoiding facebook until all the derogatory sexist ranga/ginga/fanta comments die down. So far you've picked on the fact she's female, her hair color (red is fantastic by the way) and now her accent. What defines a bogan?? Someone who wasn't educated at a North Shore or Eastern subbarb private school who speaks and acts like a total stuck up spoilt wanker?!"

I just had to blog about this because the bottom line is that this happens all over the world. Everyone has their own opinions about people in power and will get all shaken up over it. (I know I have). It sure seems as though we're more alike than different. Just try not to lose your friends over it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment